Medium is a platform that allows you to publish your stories, thoughts, and ideas online. You can use Ulysses to write your story and publish drafts directly from the app to your Medium account(s). You can do all your brainstorming, drafting, editing and previewing in Ulysses and – as a final step – press the Publish button in Medium.
Connect Ulysses and Medium
To integrate your Medium account with Ulysses, you need an integration token. You can request the token via Medium’s support on their website. Once you‘ve got the token, proceed as follows:
When you’re working on a Mac, go to Ulysses’ preferences, select Accounts, click the + button in the lower-left corner and select “Medium”. You can now paste the integration token into the text field:
Click “Log In,” and your account is all set up. If you happen to have multiple Medium accounts, you can provide an integration token for each account and add it here.
On iPad or iPhone, adding an account can be done via the exporter. Open the editor menu (circled ellipsis), choose Export and switch to Publishing. Then, tap the Add Account icon top right and select Medium. Now, paste the integration token and sign in to Medium.
Please note: You’ll need to connect Ulysses and Medium only once, as your Medium account will sync and therefore become available as an export option on all your devices.
Publish on Medium
From now on, you can publish your texts as drafts to Medium from within Ulysses. To do so, follow these steps:
- On Mac, use the toolbar button the shortcut ⇧⌘P (shift-command-P) to open Export. On iPad or iPhone, open the editor menu and select Export.
- From the available export formats, select Publishing.
- Make sure to select the Medium account you wish to publish to. You will now see a preview of what your post will look like after publishing.
- Click or tap Publish (Draft) to upload the text to your Medium account.
- Final step: If you’re ready to share your text with the world, press the Publish button on Medium.
And that's it — now happy publishing!
This article was last updated on November 12, 2020.